Monday, December 3, 2012

Sugar Cookies With Jam

I would like to share this special recipe for sugar cookies with you.  Many years ago I was making cookies to sell in my candy, gift and dessert shop.  A very special Aunt Betty sent me a packet of her favorite cookie recipes.  I began making these cookies and my mother in law really liked them.  She was surprised to learn that her sister in law had been the one to give me the recipe.   Of course I was a good daughter in law and gave her the recipe.  I hope that you will try these and that you enjoy them as much as many others have.  I make these at least once a year - usually for Christmas.




                               SUGAR COOKIES 
                                         with jam
                                
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter (can be margarine or 1/2 cup of each)
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon backing soda
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup good berry jam

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix both sugars and butter until creamy.  Add oil, eggs and vanilla and beat well.  Add the dry ingredients until everything is blended together.

Roll small balls of dough into balls, dip cookie tops into granulated sugar and place on ungreased baking sheets.  I really like to use parchment paper on my baking sheets because it is so easy for cleanup.  Press your thumb into the dough to form a deep indenture - be careful not to make a hole in the bottom.  Fill this with jam or jelly (red berry jams are good).  Bake  for 10 to 12 minutes or until very light in color, don’t bake them too long.  Remove from baking sheet to cool.



For a variation, without the jelly or jam, you can just dip these in colored sugar or sprinkles, then press them down slightly with a glass and bake.

Makes about 7 dozen cookies

5 comments:

The Cookie Monster said...

These are so tasty & the neat thing about them is you can use your favorite jam.

Anonymous said...

Pat: This look yummy. Love your connected stories. Connie P

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Ahhhh, Cookie Monster, of course you can use your favorite jam. You can even make them without the jam. Thank you Connie P, I appreciate your input.

Anonymous said...

I have to try this. They look so good! <3 Di

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

This is a really 'melt in your mouth' cookie. Give them a try Di.........