Saturday, December 22, 2012

Candle Salad from A Child's First Cook Book - 1950

When I was around 7 years old (in 1952) I received my first cookbook.  The copyright date is 1950.  I remember thinking I was so grown up to have my very own cookbook.  I made lots of the recipes, you can tell which ones were my favorites because those pages are well stained. I remember my favorite was Candle Salad and second was Lemonade.  My younger brothers would drink the Lemonade and eat the cherry off the top of the Candle Salad.  I think this is a fun salad for kiddos, with a little modernizing.  You could use fresh pineapple and prepared topping (Cool Whip) on top instead of the mayonnaise.  Maybe I will show you other recipes later.


Isn't that an interesting can opener.  Even I don't remember those, and for a child - what were they thinking??



You can see that I was printing my name on all my belongings.  What a treasure this book is - to me.

3 comments:

April Lee said...

This is so sweet. And what a great treasure to pass down to one of your kids some day! I just love this...

I also have to add, mayonnaise?? That made me quiver a little. heehee! Merry Christmas!

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

April, back in the day..... Mayonnaise was the big dressing invention. I really think the kiddos of today would enjoy whipped cream or whipped topping. I am so glad you enjoyed my treasure. Maybe I will share another recipe later on. Merry Christmas to you too.

Millie Nibe said...

I remember making this salad when I was a kid . . . this is great!! Brings back memories!!!