Thursday, August 22, 2013

Salmon Tacos

This summer my hubby, John, and I have done a lot of traveling around California, Oregon, Nevada and even touched into the corners of Arizona and Utah.  We visited lots of family and friends.  We ate a lot of really great food and enjoyed it all.  I created this recipe because we really enjoyed some fish tacos in Newport, Oregon.  Last night I had some salmon so I figured, why not make tacos.  Of course, you can use any kind of fish you like but I am partial to the salmon.

Fish Tacos have become very popular and if you haven't had them, I encourage you to give them a try.    I have always seen white fish on them and it can be prepared in many ways.  The tacos can be on corn or flour tortillas.  There is usually thin sliced cabbage on top and many variations of additional toppings.  This is the version we had for dinner last night.  I hope you enjoy them....


                                             
                                                                 Salmon Tacos

1/2 lb. Salmon, well seasoned
Cooking spray, like Pam
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
4 cups Shredded Cabbage (or 1/2 bag already shredded cabbage)
1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
1 Tomato, diced
2 Green Onions, chopped
1 Lime
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2-3 teaspoons Milk
4 large Flour Tortillas 
Hot Sauce (I like Frank’s Hot Sauce or Tabasco)

Season the Salmon generously on both sides (with whatever seasoning you prefer). You can use Lemon Pepper, or your favorite spicy seasoning.  I used my own recipe for Secret Seasoning.  Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and heat it on high.  Cook the Salmon for about 3 minutes on each side.  Use a fork to see into the thickest part to see if it is done to your likeness.  I like mine med. rare and that is still pretty pink in the center.  Remember that when you cook anything, less done is usually best, more flavor and more tender. Remove Salmon to a plate and then pour the tablespoon of Olive Oil over the Salmon for moisture.  I then break it up into large chunks. Be sure you remove any bones that you can see!

Prepare the Sour Cream Lime Sauce by combining the Sour Cream, juice from 1/2 Lime and Milk.

Combine the Shredded Cabbage with the chopped Cilantro. 

Heat a dry fry pan to hot and warm the tortillas on each side.  I like mine to get hot and slightly crispy on each side.  This only takes a very short time.

To assemble your Tacos, divide the ingredients between the Tortillas.  On one side of the hot tortilla, pile on the cooked Salmon, Cabbage mixture, diced Tomatoes and then the Green Onion, a generous squeeze of lime and then garnish with the Cilantro Lime Sauce.  Add the Hot Sauce to suit your taste.  Fold the other side of the tortilla over.  These are meant to be eaten with your hands.  

Serves 2

6 comments:

John said...

The salmon tacos Pat made last night were so tasty. I thought a restaurant in Newport, Or. had outstanding fish tacos, now I don't have to leave home for great salmon tacos. Just remember, don't overcook your fish!

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Thank you John! I guess I need to be careful about making things so tasty - I do love to eat out!

Millie said...

Looks yummy, love fish tacos! Looks like you nailed another great recipe, Pat. Salmon is sooo good for you too! Thanks for sharing the great recipe! :)

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Thank you Millie for all your support! Let me know when you make these tacos. They aren't our mama's tacos, for sure.

Bud said...

I used this recipe to make a fish taco salad. served it in a tortilla salad bowl shaped with the "as seen on TV" tortilla warmers.

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Bud, what a great idea! Now, did you enjoy it? I am always glad to hear your feedback. :)