Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cheese Ball with Bacon and Horseradish

I have always liked cheese balls and for some reason I have really been on a kick about mixing different cheeses and flavors.  Last week I told hubby, John, that I wanted something with bacon and horseradish.  We played around a little with flavors and amounts and I hope you enjoy the recipe we created.  I love that cheese balls will keep for several days in the fridge, if you don't eat it all while you are making it!  I have other combinations that I'll post another time.



                        Cheese Ball with Bacon and Horseradish

4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces, fried crispy and drained  - I like to use a thick cut of good bacon, if you use thin cut, use at least 6 slices.

8 ounces Cream Cheese, at room temperature
2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Old Fashioned Horseradish (I use Tulelake Horseradish which is made in Beaverton, Oregon but you can use  your favorite brand)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 green onions, chopped - green and white parts 
Crackers of your choice, I like a mild cracker 

Reserve 1 tablespoon of the chopped green onion and 2 tablespoons of the chopped and cooked bacon.  This will be sprinkled over the top of the cheese ball.

In a food processor, combine everything until it is well combined and mostly smooth.  

Now, lay out a square piece of plastic wrap, put the cheese mixture into the center of the square, forming a ball.  Sprinkle the reserved green onion and bacon on the top.  Bring the corners of the wrap up and together.    Your cheese ball will form by itself. Refrigerate for at least one hour for the flavors to blend.  I usually make this a day ahead and it does keep well for several days in the fridge.   Sometimes I make 2 smaller balls and sometimes I make 1 large ball.  This is a very flavorful cheese ball so I serve it with a mild flavored cracker or flat bread. 



3 comments:

Millie said...

Oooh, sounds soooo yummy, has all my favorites in it, ha, ha, ha, LOL!

Anonymous said...

This does sound so good and the snowman you made for your party was the cutest. Hope your party was a wonderful as it looked. You and John are the coolest.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! Thank you Pat. Connie