Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Scalloped Potatoes


Fall is coming, we can feel it in the morning air.  Our days are still hot here in Redding, Ca. but there is a promise of Summer's end and it will soon be OK to bring on those wonderful comfort foods. Well, what is more comfortable than Scalloped Potatoes?  I have been making my scalloped potatoes in the microwave since I got my first one, in maybe 1977.  Yes, that was a long time ago!  The original recipe came in a little booklet that came with the microwave.  Well, I have no idea where that little book went so I will try to come up with a 'recipe' for you - since I have just made mine from memory for all these years.  I usually add cheese to my potatoes, once they are done but you don't have to in order to get that yummy, comfy taste.  You can serve this as a  side dish or add leftover ham and make it a main dish.  



             
                              SCALLOPED POTATOES

4-6 medium baking potatoes, washed and peeled (sometimes I  leave the peels on)
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons dry chopped onion (or 1 small onion chopped)
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup med. sharp cheddar cheese (optional)

Slice potatoes thin, about 1/4” thick.  In a large buttered, microwavable, casserole dish I split the ingredients into 3 layers - potatoes sprinkled with butter, salt and pepper,onion and flour.  Pour the milk over the top and stir just to mix it a bit.  Place casserole on a dish in microwave and cook on high and uncovered for about 8 minutes or until hot.  The large dish and the plate under is because this may bubble over and who wants the mess. Stir the potatoes and then microwave for about 30 minutes more, stirring every 8-10 minutes. Check the potatoes for doneness.  If you are adding the cheese, do it now and stir it into potatoes.  This is a good recipe to make a small amount or to make larger amounts.  Just adjust the ingredient amounts to suit your desires.  As it is, it should serve 4-6.


No comments: