Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Macaroni Salad

Here in northern California we have had some really nice weather lately.  It's the kind of weather that makes me want to eat grilled ribs and Macaroni Salad.  This is my favorite Macaroni Salad recipe.  I really do like to use fresh herbs, since I usually have them growing in pots on my patio.  You can always use the dried herbs available at the market and you can substitute your favorite herbs for variety.    Sometimes I even use green onions instead of the red onion, that is one of the wonderful things I like about a salad like this.  Oh, I also want to mention that I sometimes add salad shrimp and maybe some sliced black olives to this salad.  I hope you enjoy this easy and basic old fashioned salad, your way.


                                 

 Macaroni Salad

16 ounces (approx. 2 cups) uncooked Salad Macaroni, cooked as directed on pkg.
1/2 cup Sweet Pickle Relish
2 tablespoons Red Onion, chopped fine
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, cut into 1/4” cubes
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
2 teaspoons fresh Chives, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Tarragon, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Parsley, chopped (I prefer the broad leaf kind)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked Salad Macaroni with all of the other ingredients.  Mix well.  Adjust seasonings to suit your taste.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remember that the salad will absorb most of the liquid as it cools.  Stir before serving.  

Makes 8 large servings

Macaroni Salad with salad shrimp added





5 comments:

Dennis Badger said...

Hey there sis that sounds really good and looks good as well. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Millie said...

Yummy, I'm always making macaroni salad during the warmer weather. Your recipe looks amazing, have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing. Bon Appetite!!!

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Thanks for the support Dennis and Millie. It took me a while to get this one posted and I hope it is enjoyed. Now poor John has to eat it - like that's a problem! lol

Unknown said...

Thanks Pat,
This is the closest I have seen to my Mom's Cold Salad Macaroni. Everything is the same except she added a small amount of sliced celery, sliced sweet Gherkin pickles instead of the relish, no sugar (but she added a tablespoon or two of the pickle juice), and lots of celery seed. She seasoned with salt and pepper and always used red onions, but used no other spice. The taste combination of the cheese with the sweet pickle slices is divine!

I a have also made a dill version with sliced Kosher dill pickles and dill leaves and seeds and left off the celery seed, but kept everything else the same.

By the way, I always use Best Foods Mayo...it just doesn't taste the same with other brands.

Have a great spring!

BTW...love the idea of sharing recipes. What a great gift for your family and others as well. Love the old recipies!

Thanks again,
Crystal

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Crystal, I am glad you are enjoying my recipe and making it your own. This is a lot like my mother in laws recipe, that I loved. I hope you keep enjoying my oldies and goodies!