Thursday, January 3, 2013

Enchiladas

Christmas and New Year's are over and it's time to get back to normal (if there is such a thing) in Grammy's Kitchen.  John and I both wanted something spicy a couple nights ago so I pulled out the Enchilada recipe and used some rotisserie chicken that had been thrown into the freezer before Christmas.  It was so good, just what we wanted.  I hope you enjoy this recipe and it satisfies your hunger for something spicy, of course, you can tame it down or spice it up some more.




                                       ENCHILADAS

Sauce:
2 tablespoons minced onion (can be dried)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon flour
2   8 oz. cans tomato sauce
2-4 teaspoons chili powder (to taste, I go for the 4 and spicy)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4  teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tobasco Sauce (to taste)
1 cup water

Cook onion and garlic in oil to soften.  Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in remaining ingredients being careful to whisk it well and not get lumps.  Simmer until med. thick. You can add more water if you like a thinner sauce.

Filling:
1 pound ground beef, crumbled and browned 
1  4 oz. can Ortega chiles, drained
2-3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
12 corn tortillas (you can use flour if you prefer)
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Add the chiles and 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce to the cooked meat.

Use a small amount of oil in fry pan and lightly fry each tortilla to make them pliable.  Dip tortillas into sauce and fill each tortilla with the meat mixture and a little cheese and whatever other fillings you like (onions, olives, etc.)  Roll up.  Arrange in Pam sprayed baking dish or on a foil lined cookie sheet.  Pour on remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.  Sprinkle green onions on top and heat in oven at 375 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Now sprinkle with the fresh cilantro.  I serve this with a green salad or sometimes with refried beans or Mexican rice.  This recipe freezes beautifully!

Serves 4-6

Variation:

Fill with chopped cooked chicken, turkey or just cheese and Ortega chiles.  I really like to use the rotisserie chickens from the grocery store and leftover turkey is terrific. 



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your recipes look so delicious! You are going to make me fatter than I already am!!!
Dianne

Anonymous said...

Your recipes look so delicious! You are going to make me fatter than I already am!!!
Dianne

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Let me see, shall I say thank you or I'm sorry??? Dianne, don't be hard on yourself. I think you are perfect just the way you are.

Millie Nibe said...

Loooove Enchiladas!!!! Ole, Pat!!!

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Millie, I once told people to make enchiladas with their leftover turkey - after Thanksgiving. Then I had nightmares of them leaving their turkey carcasses on my doorstep - in huge black plastic bags. lol