Friday, January 18, 2013

Chili - quick and easy

As we grow up and our tastes mature and change, we develop guide lines on certain foods.  I remember things from my younger years that just don't taste the same now.  Did they ever taste the way I remember them or are things really different?  The Chili I had when I was growing up came from a local burger shop.  They made their own chili and it had no beans in it.  I now prefer my chili with beans.  I don't remember ever even knowing that there were black beans out there.  A chili was usually a bell pepper, not the yummy and spicy chilies that are now available at the local supermarkets.  This recipe is one of those basics that I made when my sons were growing up, with a couple of changes for the times.  I usually use red bell pepper ( because I don't care for the taste of the green) and I really like to use black beans or pinto beans and for me, I like a squeeze of half a lime in there.  I like to top my chili with a dab of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped fresh cilantro.  Hubby John likes grated cheese and chopped green onion on his.  I hope you enjoy this quick and easy recipe.




                                       Chili - quick and easy

2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small jalapeno pepper, cleaned and diced
1/2 med. bell pepper, chopped (red or green)
1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 15 ounce can kidney beans, juice and all (or black beans or pinto peans)
2  8 ounce cans tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons chili powder 

In a large pot, heat oil.  Cook and stir garlic, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper and meat until slightly browned.  Stir in beans with their liquid, tomato sauce, salt and chili powder.  Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chili is desired thickness - 30 to 45 minutes.  

Makes 4 servings

No comments: