Saturday, September 7, 2013

Cheesy Buttery Biscuit Sticks

When our three sons were growing up I worked, either away or in our home.  That was the time of 'the super mom'.  I could do it all and handle it all...  Don't even begin to ask me how I did all the things I did.  I remember burning the candle at both ends and in the middle.  I got up early, ran all day and stayed up late at night to get everything done.  I was like most of the women of my generation.  Most of us didn't have big major positions in corporations but we certainly had jobs, family and all that.  I think the hardest thing of all was trying to figure out what to fix for dinner.  I know that sounds funny but we didn't have the fast food options and the take outs that are available today.  Besides, we didn't have a lot of extra money to spend on food so nearly all meals were prepared at home.  I remember always having bread on the table when I was growing up so there was always bread on my table.  I have always considered it part of a complete meal and what a great way to help fill up those growing boys of ours.  This recipe for Cheesy Buttery Biscuit Sticks was one of my favorite quick and easy breads.  They were always good and so very fresh!  Besides that, I always had the ingredients in the pantry and fridge.



 Cheesy Buttery Biscuit Sticks

1/4 cup Butter, melted
1 1/4 cups Flour
2 teaspoons granulated Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated (optional, of course)
2/3 cup Milk

Preheat oven to 450˚.  In your oven or microwave, melt Butter in an 8 or 9 inch square pan - just until melted.  I like to use a glass baking dish for these Biscuit Sticks.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder and Salt.  Toss in the grated Cheddar Cheese.  Add Milk to dry ingredients and stir just until dough clings together.  Sprinkle a little flour onto your board and knead lightly about 10 times.  Pat the dough out to 1/2 inch thick and 8 or 9 inches square, to fit your pan.  With a floured knife, cut the dough in half, and then into sticks about 1 inch wide.  You should have 16 to 18 Biscuit Sticks. Dip each stick, turning over in the melted butter to coat, and place into two rows in your pan.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.  Serve hot.

Makes 16 to 18 Buttery Biscuit Sticks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! This looks so good, Pat! The Red Lobster Restaurant should have come to YOU for the recipe! You are so right about the super-mom part. Sometimes I think back at all that I was able to get done from early morning to very late at night and realize that if I could still move at that pace I would probably still be skinny! LOL! Dianne

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

hahaha! Dianne, you always make me laugh. I love writing this blog and seeing responses. I think most ladies of our generation can relate. What a time we did live in! Loved it then and love the pace I live in now. :)