Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Ginger Cookies



I have collected cookie recipes for many years.  I owned and operated a Candy, Gift and Dessert shop for several years when our boys were young.  I purchased the candies and gifts but the desserts were all mine.  I made large cookies - before they were the thing to do.  This was one of my favorites.  Today I want to share this recipe for Ginger Cookies with you and I hope you will enjoy it.


Ginger Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine              
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ginger
2 cups flour
1/4 cup additional sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease cookie sheet.  Melt butter over low heat, transfer to a medium mixing bowl.  Beat in molasses and 1 cup sugar.  Beat the egg, in small bowl first, then into molasses mixture.  Sift together dry ingredients, then add to wet mixture.  Stir to blend well.  

Form 1 inch balls of dough.  Roll in additional sugar then arrange on cookie sheet.  These will spread so place them about 2 inches apart.  I like to pat them down slightly with my hand, just to get them started.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm to touch.  Cool on paper towels.  Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies

No comments: