Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies

In the late 70's (yes that was a long time ago), I owned and operated a candy store.  I bought my candy and the gift items I sold.  I had a small but efficient kitchen where I baked desserts.  I specialized in cookies, brownies, cheesecake, carrot cake, blackberry cobbler and a few other yummy and sort of old fashioned goodies.  One of the favorites were my chocolate chip cookies.  I made them big and often.  My boys loved when I brought goodies home.  By boys, I mean our 3 sons and my husband, the biggest boy of all.  Very few people don't love chocolate chip cookies.  They are still favorites with all my grandkids.  One of the things I have learned is not to stir things too much after the flour goes in.  I use equal amounts of both margarine and shortening.  And, I don't like to bake the cookies too long.  I try for a nice golden brown bottom on these yummy morsels.  I love walnuts in almost anything but not everyone does, so they are optional.  I hope you enjoy this recipe for one of our family favorites.



                         CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
                                   
1 cup Margarine, at room temperature
1 cup Vegetable Shortening
3 Eggs
1 1/3 cups Sugar
1 1/3 cups Brown sugar
3 teaspoons Vanilla
4 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
3 cups Chocolate Chips
1 cup Walnuts, chopped - optional

In large mixing bowl, cream together the Margarine, Shortening, Eggs, Sugars, and Vanilla, using an electric mixer.  

With mixer on low speed, slowly add in the Flour, Baking Soda and Salt.  With a spoon, fold in the Chocolate Chips and Walnuts, if you are using them.

Using a tablespoon or a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop, drop cookies onto a Pam sprayed baking sheet.  I use the palm of my hand to flatten the cookies just a little.  Bake at 375 degrees for 11 to 13 minutes, or until light brown on the bottom.  Don’t over bake the cookies!  Let the cookies cool for 1-2 minutes on baking sheet and then remove them to paper towels to cool.

Makes 7 dozen cookies - they freeze well but don't last long.  We have a cookie monster that eats ours!

I use the palm of my hand to flatten the cookies just a little.  This gives you nice uniform cookies!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful cookies. I hope to try them soon. Thank you, Connie P.

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

Connie, do try them. They freeze well and just one cookie might be possible! LOL