Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Easy Winter Salsa

I call this Easy Winter Salsa because it is easy to make and, of course, when those tomatoes are fresh in the summer time they are best.  But, when tomatoes are just simply those 'red things' in the grocery store, there is no point in using them.  I also make this salsa when I am in a hurry and want something as a quick and easy appetizer.  I like to warm the tortilla chips to go with the salsa.  Who doesn't love Chips and Salsa?



                                                  Easy Winter Salsa

2  14 oz. cans Chopped Tomatoes (with juice)
1/3  cup Tomatillos (either canned or slightly boil fresh)
1/3  cup White Onion, chopped
1/3  cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
4 cloves Garlic
2 or 3 Fresh Jalapenos (seeds removed)
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice (or you can use red wine vinegar)
1/4  teaspoons Salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Pulse until it is the consistency you like. Taste for flavor and add more Jalapeno if you like it really spicy.
Chill and serve with Tortilla Chips.

Notes: 
  1. If you use canned Tomatillos, the extra can be frozen for another time.
  2. The Tomatillos are optional but I think they add flavor.
  3. I start with 1 Jalapeno at a time because you never know how spicy they are.
  4. I do like the freshness of the Lime Juice versus Red Wine Vinegar. 
  5. You can keep Salsa in the fridge for several days, if you hide it!
  6. I do prefer using a food processor but a blender works.


No comments: