Thursday, October 24, 2013

Grammy's Homemade Applesauce

When I think of the fresh local apples being picked in our area, I think of homemade applesauce.   I especially like to serve fresh applesauce as a side dish with pork.  I make it in small batches because it's so easy to make.  If you have lots of apples and want lots of applesauce, go ahead and make a big batch.  It is so good in applesauce cakes and cookies.  You can also just eat it for a simple dessert.

It's hard to say there is an exact recipe for applesauce because there are so many things to consider.  First you have the kinds of apples, there are so many.  I try to use local produce when I can and I choose a nice crisp and semi-tart apple.  Some apples are not really juicy so you may need a little more water to help break them down.  Some are really tart so you may need to add a little more sugar to suit your taste.  I like mine with chunks, you may like yours smooth.  I usually use granulated sugar but you might like to try brown sugar.  I like cinnamon in mine but that is strictly optional.  Do try this simple and old fashioned applesauce.  You will be surprised at how easy and delicious it is.


 Grammy’s Homemade Applesauce

4 - 5 Apples, your choice of kind (I like crisp and tart and flavorful, like Gala, Fuji, or Gravenstein. Free is best but cheap is the next choice.

1/4  to 1/2 cup Water 
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice 
1 or 2 tablespoons Sugar  (I use granulated sugar but brown sugar is good too)
1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, optional
Wash, quarter, core and peel apples.  I like to cook the apples in a deep flat pan, so I will be able to smash them in the pan with a fork when they are done. Add the Water to the pan and cover with a lid.  Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the apples have softened.  
Remove the lid and begin smashing the apples with a fork, I like mine chunky. You can use a potato masher if you like.  Add in the Sugar, to taste, you make it as sweet or tart as you like. Add in the Cinnamon, also to your taste.   

Makes 4 servings






Choose your apples.


Quarter apples.



Peel and core apples.

Carve faces in apples.
(Just for fun!) 


Cut apples into small
pieces. 

Add water and lemon
juice.  Cover and cook.




Smash with fork.  Add
sugar and cinnamon.

A yummy bowl of sauce.




No comments: