Saturday, March 9, 2013

Salmon Patties

My Mother liked potatoes and I guess that is where my obsession with those dirty brown things came from.  When Mom made mashed potatoes, she made a huge amount so there would always be leftovers.  I especially remember her using leftover mashed potatoes to make Salmon Patties.  Oh, we had lots of fresh Salmon too so she canned a lot of it.  Well, in the past and in my spare time, I canned too.  Then things got to be more scarce, time was short and...  Anyway, I decided to make Salmon Patties the other day.  I had some leftover mashed potatoes and a small can of salmon.  I can't say that my patties tasted as good as I remember Mom's patties tasting but they did satisfy my craving.



                                       Salmon Patties

2 cups mashed Potatoes 
1 6 ounce can Salmon, well drained
2 Green Onions, chopped fine
2 teaspoons fresh Lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 Egg, beaten
Vegetable or Canola oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl, except the oil.

 Heat a large frying pan to medium heat, with a very thin coating of oil.   Once the oil is hot, place mounds of the salmon mixture in the pan and smash them down so they are about the thickness of a thick pancake.  Fry the patties until they are nicely brown.  Carefully turn the patties over and brown on the second side.  You will want to do this in two batches so you don’t crowd the patties. 

Makes 10 Salmon Patties

These Patties are good served with my recipe of Creamed Potatoes and Peas and a small green salad.  

3 comments:

juju222 said...

Pat, I may have to try these. I buy the frozen salmon patties from Costo,which are quite good, but this is a great idea for using leftover mashed potatoes!

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

I've had the salmon burgers from Costco. What I use is the canned salmon, which is canned and by the tuna - at Costco too. There is more moisture in the canned. I know other stores also carry the small cans of salmon. Hope you like my recipes.

conniep said...

Pat: This recipe looks wonderful and moist. Can't wait to try it. Thank you.