Sunday, March 3, 2013

Best Brownies

When you see 'Best' in the title of one of my recipes it means that it is from back in my days of owning my Candy Shop.  I baked a lot of these brownies and they were usually gone by the time the smell of baking chocolate had disappeared.  If they weren't sold or promised, I would feature a special for my Brownie 'n Hot Fudge Sundae.  Now, doesn't that make your jaws ache and your mouth water?
In those days I cut my chocolate from a 10 pound slab and sold it in small chunks.  There were always leftover shavings and these were what I used to make the brownies and I also put them into my Sundae Sauce.  There were leftover 'crumbs' from the English Toffee to sprinkle on top.  Well, that was then and this is now.  I also had a habit of writing recipes with only ingredients and amounts too, who bothered with instructions!  These recipes have been in my pit of a file for over 30 years and I guess it is time to update and put some instructions with them.  I like my brownies undercooked so they are melt in your mouth good, these are not cakey.  Lots of nuts make me happy.  Feel free to leave them out if you're not as nutty as me.  I made a batch of these yesterday.  Most of them are packed into freezer bags to go to grandkids.  I saved a few for John and I to pull out when we need a chocolate fix.




                                          Best Brownies

1 1/2 cups (3 cubes) margarine  (I use Imperial brand)
12 oz. (1 1/2 cups) semi sweet chocolate chips
6 large eggs
3 cups granulated sugar 
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
1 cup coarse chopped walnuts (optional)
3/4 cup fine chopped walnuts (optional) to sprinkle on top

Prepare a large baking pan by lining it with parchment paper and spreading margarine around the edges of the pan.  I use a 12”x16” cake pan and I just use the margarine wrappers to spread margarine on the pan.  If your pan is a little smaller, your brownies will be a little thicker.  Preheat oven to 350˚.

In a small saucepan combine margarine and chocolate chips.  Melt together, over low heat.  Set aside to cool a little.

With a mixer, combine eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Beat for 1 minute.  Add in the melted margarine and chocolate mixture and then the flour and cocoa powder.  Beat for 1 minute.  With a wooden spoon, stir in the chopped walnuts and pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the 3/4 cup fine chopped nuts over the top of brownies. 

Bake at 350˚ for 35 minutes.  Check brownies by inserting a toothpick into the center.  You want there to be a little gooey on the toothpick.  These brownies are best when left a little undercooked.  Let brownies cool for chocolate to set up.  Cut into 2’” squares.  

3 comments:

JKL said...

It has been too long since I have tasted these brownies, they are outstanding. You won't regret trying these!

conniep said...

OMG these look amazing.

Pat Dyer Lutzow said...

JKL and Connie, these are what I call melt in your mouth goodness. Oh, JKL, stay out of the freezer! lol